Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Stuff That Really Matters Most: For Learning

What really matters most for learning? If you ask Marva Collins or Rafe Esquith (if you don't recognize these names google them or look on Amazon.com) it comes down to four simple things:

1. Challenging Reading
2. Massive Writing
3. Intense Discussion
4. Frequent Memorization

I find most of those missing now in our current education. My mother had to memorize all the presidents of the United States. Some of us memorized the state capitals of all 50 states. I don't remember my children doing either.

What books have you read since high school? Most people never read another book after high school. My oldest son once commented on the overflowing stack of books at my bedside, "Now I know where I got it from."

What good learning habits have you passed on to your children?


No comments:

Post a Comment